|Pictured (left to right): David Werner, Park Bank; Rose Oswald Poels, WBA; and Governor Scott Walker.|
Last week, Governor Scott Walker (R) met with the WBA Board of Directors during their regular December meeting. For over an hour, board members and Walker had a good discussion on the state of the banking industry, the health of the Wisconsin economy, and where banks can play a role in the economic development vision the Governor has for Wisconsin.
Some of the discussion points included:
- Wisconsin’s banking industry is strong but is in transition.
- As this transition continues, we believe banks become more important to Wisconsin and we want to make sure they stay here.
- As bankers, we’re proud to serve our communities and the role we play to help our customers achieve their dreams.
- We thanked Governor Walker for his leadership and everything that has been done over the past 6-7 years to help transition Wisconsin to becoming nationally respected and a strong state to do business within.
- Discussed his recently introduced Wisconsin’s Workforce Agenda, which WBA wanted to hear about. It was also conveyed that the banking industry has its own workforce agenda including:
- Defining the banking industry to achieve success;
- Maintaining a healthy competitive environment; and
- Attracting and retaining talent.
The meeting was a fantastic opportunity for the WBA Board of Directors to spend this much time with Governor Walker and be able to articulate the concerns and views of Wisconsin's banking industry.