Evers Honors 13 Recipients of 2018 Financial Literacy Award in Capitol Ceremony
Gov. Tony Evers honored 13 individuals, businesses, and organizations as recipients of the 2018 Governor’s Financial Literacy Award in a ceremony at the State Capitol on March 21.
“Financial literacy skill training is something we all need throughout our lives from elementary school to the workplace to retirement,” Evers said. “The dedication of these individuals and groups to helping the people of Wisconsin become financially secure and achieve their dreams is commendable.”
The recipients were selected by the Governor’s Council on Financial Literacy from the nominations submitted for consideration. Criteria weighed during the screening process included innovative implementation, demonstrated measurable results, collaboration with partners, and whether the effort was focused on needs-based groups.
Recipients of the 2018 Governor’s Financial Literacy Awards are:
- Wacinque Amistad Kaizen BeMende, volunteer, Military Thrift Savings Plan
- Kerri Herrild, teacher, DePere High School
- Nicholas Manogue, teacher, Milton High School
- Heather R. Mielke, teacher, Burlington High School
- Terrica Peyton, volunteer/coach, Madison Metropolitan School District
- Chippewa Valley Technical College (CVTC), Eau Claire
- Financial Literacy Free Day, Money Smart Week, Fox Cities
- Housing Authority of the City of Milwaukee (HACM), Milwaukee
- NextGen Personal Finance, Statewide
- Office for the Advancement of Free Enterprise Education (OAFEE) at Lakeland University, Milwaukee
- Sallie Mae, “Bridging the Dream Tour and College Fair,” Statewide
- Vicki J. Hoehn, Royal Credit Union’s Vice President of Community Engagement, Eau Claire
- Junior Achievement of Wisconsin
The Legacy Award is given to an organization, business, or individual whose purpose and heritage is ingrained in sustained financial literacy and capability. This lifetime recognition is intended to be conferred once to the recipients. Synopses of the recipients’ efforts can be found on the DFI website.