2021 Reading Raises Interest Kits
The Wisconsin Bankers Foundation (WBF) provides these free, easy-to-use kits each year for WBA member banks to use in conjunction with Teach Children To Save Day.
As a result of the pandemic, many bankers came up with creative ways to advocate for the importance of financial literacy. Donations were made to schools and libraries, audio and video recordings of bankers reading the book were produced, and bankers once again let their innovation shine. This year's kit will once again feature the book It's a Habit, Sammy Rabbit by Sam Renick. In the story, Sammy Rabbit learns a huge secret from his Auntie Squirly that can help him rescue his family, but he will have to practice a new habit of saving for the future. Will Sammy learn this great habit quickly enough to rescue his family?
The Foundation is excited to help members successfully spread the word on the importance of financial literacy. We encourage bankers to record themselves reading the book and send the video to the teacher, along with instructions and activities for the students. To make this year's distribution as easy as possible, the Foundation is also prepared to assist participants who need it. Using Zoom, we can record video or audio of the book being read and create a private YouTube link for your classrooms.
As part of 2020's Teach Children to Save, several banks recorded videos of bankers reading money-related books for kids and created a portal for local teachers and families. See examples from Port Washington State Bank, Prevail Bank, Medford, and The Stephenson National Bank and Trust, Marinette.
Several digital resources to go along with this year's book can be found at the bottom of this page.
Thank you all for your work to promote financial literacy in your community!
Questions? Please contact Alex Paniagua at 608-441-1237 or via email.
Need more books for your community?
Fill out the form below for more information on how to receive this year's kit!
Reading Raises Interest Kit Archive
The lesson plans and activities from previous Reading Raises Interest Kits are also available for WBA members to download and use in classroom presentations throughout the year. Click from the menu to select and download a lesson plan PDF.
- 2003_Berenstain Bears Trouble With Money
- 2004_Money Troubles
- 2005_The Monster Money Book
- 2006_2013_Berenstain Bears Dollars and Sense
- 2007_If You Made A Million
- 2008_Alexander, Who Used to Be Rich Last Sunday
- 2009_Kermit the Hermit
- 2010_Bunny Money
- 2011_The Penny Pot
- 2012_Pigs Will Be Pigs
- 2014_Money, Money, Honey Bunny
- 2015_One Hen
- 2016_You Can't Buy a Dinosaur with a Dime
- 2017_The Berenstain Bears’ Trouble With Money
- 2018_A Chair for My Mother
Digital Resources for 2021: It's a Habit, Sammy Rabbit!
Many resources for presenting this year's book (It's a Habit, Sammy Rabbit) can be found online at https://sammyrabbit.com/training. Some recommended resources include:
- Discussion questions and author reading of It's a Habit, Sammy Rabbit
- "Sammy Rabbit - Get in the Habit" Song & Video
- Example of how to introduce the book to a group of kids (video)
- The "sound" of saving exercise (video)
- Money Choices exercise (video)
- Discussion example: "Why is money important?" (video)
- Distribute kid-friendly savings brochures via the drive-through.
- Offer online “virtual” bank tours by recording a staff member walking through the branch and recording using their phone.
Have another idea you'd like to share with your peers? Email Alex today!