2020 Reading Raises Interest Kits
The Wisconsin Bankers Foundation (WBF) provides these free, easy-to-use kits each year for WBA member banks to use in conjunction with Teach Children To Save Day.
This year's kit features the book It's a Habit, Sammy Rabbit by Sam Renick. In the story, Sammy Rabbit learns a huge secret from his Auntie Squirly that can help him rescue his family, but he will have to practice a new habit of saving for the future. Will Sammy learn this great habit quickly enough to rescue his family?
With schools closed indefinitely, this year's Teach Children to Save Day and Reading Raises Interest campaigns will look very different. However, since teaching children about the importance of saving and making wise money choices is a critical community service, the campaign is still on! The Wisconsin Bankers Foundation is encouraging participating banks to contact their local school district to discuss the best option moving forward:
1) Postpone campaign activities until schools reopen later this year.
2) Cancel the campaign for 2020 (in which case, the Foundation encourages banks to donate their books to the school library)
3) Use video technology to hold the presentation digitally. Bankers will record themselves reading the book and send the video to the teacher, along with instructions and activities for the students.
Example: As part of Teach Children to Save, several banks recorded videos of bankers reading money-related books for kids and created a portal for local teachers and families. See examples from Port Washington State Bank, Prevail Bank, Medford, and The Stephenson National Bank and Trust, Marinette.
Several digital resources to go along with this year's book can be found at the bottom of this page.
Thank you all for your work to promote financial literacy in your community!
Questions? Please contact Amber Seitz at 608-441-1237 or via email.
After your presentation...
Don't forget to report your activities to the Foundation! Click here to fill out the presentation summary.
Also, please complete the Follow-up Survey for this year's kit! We need your feedback to make next year's kit even better!
Missed ordering kits this year?
Fill out the form below to be notified when next year's kits become available!
Reading Raises Interest Kit Archive
The lesson plans and activities from previous Reading Raises Interest Kits are also available for WBA members to download and use in classroom presentations throughout the year. Click from the menu to select and download a lesson plan PDF.
- 2003_Berenstain Bears Trouble With Money
- 2004_Money Troubles
- 2005_The Monster Money Book
- 2006_2013_Berenstain Bears Dollars and Sense
- 2007_If You Made A Million
- 2008_Alexander, Who Used to Be Rich Last Sunday
- 2009_Kermit the Hermit
- 2010_Bunny Money
- 2011_The Penny Pot
- 2012_Pigs Will Be Pigs
- 2014_Money, Money, Honey Bunny
- 2015_One Hen
- 2016_You Can't Buy a Dinosaur with a Dime
- 2017_The Berenstain Bears’ Trouble With Money
- 2018_A Chair for My Mother
Digital Resources for 2020: It's a Habit, Sammy Rabbit!
Many resources for presenting this year's book (It's a Habit, Sammy Rabbit) can be found online at https://sammyrabbit.com/training. Some recommended resources include:
- NEW! Discussion questions and author reading of It's a Habit, Sammy Rabbit
- "Sammy Rabbit - Get in the Habit" Song & Video
- Example of how to introduce the book to a group of kids (video)
- The "sound" of saving exercise (video)
- Money Choices exercise (video)
- Discussion example: "Why is money important?" (video)
- Distribute kid-friendly savings brochures via the drive-through.
- Offer online “virtual” bank tours by recording a staff member walking through the branch and recording using their phone.
Have another idea you'd like to share with your peers? Email Amber today!