The 2023 WBA Agricultural Lending School will be held August 22–24, with an optional pre-school workshop on August 21, at the Wisconsin Bankers Association office in Madison. Classes will begin at 9:00 a.m. on Tuesday and conclude at 3:00 p.m. on Thursday. This school was developed as an intermediate-level school. Case studies, in-class work, class discussions, and a farm visit are all elements of this school.
An optional pre-school workshop has been added on August 21. This optional workshop is geared towards those ag lenders and credit analysts who would like to strengthen their foundational knowledge of ag financial statements, the 6 C’s of Credit, and look at some initial ratios. The 3-day school curriculum is based on attendees having an intermediate-level knowledge of these topics. If you’d like a refresher or to reinforce your ag financial statement knowledge, sign up to attend this optional workshop during registration.
- “Lenders’ Lens” on Agriculture Today
- Cyclical Nature of Agriculture
- Borrower and Lender Relationship
- Agricultural Financial Statements
- Farm Business Financial Model for Informed Decisions
- Cash Flow Budgeting
- Introduction to Financial and Credit Analysis
- Financial and Credit Analysis
- Risk Management
- Commodity Marketing
- Credit Structuring
- Credit Enhancements
- Loan Narrative/Credit Presentation
- Farm Visit & Recap
- Introduction to Problem Loans
- Looking for Red Flags
- Bank Policy
- Preparing for Loan Committee
Optional Pre-School Workshop Curriculum Includes:
- Farm Business Financial Model for Informed Decisions – a focus on the building of financial statements
- Balance Sheet
- Income Statement
- Statement of Cash Flows
- The Building Blocks for Credit Decision Making – the 6 C’s of Credit
- Bradley Guse, senior vice president – agribusiness banking, BMO Harris Bank, N.A., Marshfield
- Dr. Kevin Bernhardt, professor and UW Extension Farm Management Specialist, UW-Platteville
Who Should Attend:
This school is designed for ag lenders with a few years of experience, or for those lenders who would like a refresher. Credit analysts, processors, and other ag lending staff will also benefit. Those attendees with less than 2 years of experience should consider registering to attend the optional pre-school workshop on August 21, 2023.
Successful completion of the school will be based on class attendance and participation on a team for a comprehensive case study including a presentation on the final day.
The student fee of $895 includes program registration, instruction and materials, and lunch and refreshment breaks daily. Dinner will be provided Thursday evening with the farm visit. Registration for the optional pre-school workshop is an additional $200/attendee.