Characteristics of Strong Risk Assessments: Tools to Monitor & Report Results
Financial institutions provide great value to the American economy. But that value comes with risks. Strategic-minded institutions do not strive to eliminate risk or even to minimize it — they strive to manage risk enterprise-wide so that just enough of the right kind of risk is incurred to effectively pursue their strategic goals. This is referred to as “optimal risk-taking.” This webinar will explore the characteristics of strong risk assessments so participants can address key areas in their own institutions. The presenter will share her experience in developing an enterprise-wide process and explain how to conduct risk assessments in a pragmatic, easy-to-understand way. Practical tools and examples will be provided that can be implemented immediately. Learn how to strengthen your existing risk assessments and create new ones for other areas as needed.
- Overall view of enterprise risk management (ERM) and its three phases
- Key steps to strengthen existing risk assessments
- Characteristics and goals of risk assessments based on industry best practices
- How to identify and assess your institution’s risks enterprise-wide
- What is a risk assessment system (RAS) and its relationship to CAMELS rating?
- The top eight risks and other important ones
- How to conduct an ERM Risk Assessment using a matrix – the core of risk assessments
- The various types of risk assessments based on the area of risk and what they consist of
- Examples of ongoing monitoring and reporting tools and how to use them
Who Should Attend?
This informative session is designed for risk managers/leaders, chief risk officers, compliance officers, internal auditors, chief operating officers, chief credit officers, and the entire risk management team.
Marcia “Marci” Malzahn is the president and founder of Malzahn Strategic, a community financial institution management consultancy focused on strategic planning, enterprise risk management, treasury management, talent management, and EOS’ Implementation.
Marci has 30 years of banking experience, ten of those years as the EVP/CFO and COO of a community bank she co-founded where she oversaw all areas of operations. In her last year as EVP/COO/CRO, Marci created and focused on the bank’s enterprise risk management program.
Marci is the recipient of several professional awards, is a published author of four books, and an international bilingual keynote speaker, speaking frequently at banking and credit union conferences and associations as well as leadership and women’s conferences. As a Certified Virtual Presenter, Marcia also provides online and onsite training for financial institutions.
Marci is a certified life coach, holds a B.A. in business management from Bethel University, and is a graduate of the Graduate School of Banking in Madison, Wisconsin.
Live Access, 30 Days OnDemand Playback, Presenter Materials and Handouts – $279
12 Months OnDemand Playback + $110
12 Months OnDemand Playback + CD + $140
Additional Live Access + $75 per person