On May 29, 2013, the U.S. Department of Treasury, along with several federal agencies, including the Social Security Administration, the Department of Veterans Affairs, the Railroad Retirement Board, and the Office of Personnel Management, published the Final Rule on the Garnishment of Accounts Containing Federal Benefit Payments. The final rule supersedes the laws of many states pertaining to how financial institutions process garnishments. It will also apply to the processing of state tax levies and warrants.
- A general review of the requirements for processing garnishments and state tax levies under the final rule
- The special terminology that applies
- The detailed steps financial institutions need to take when processing garnishment and levy requests
- Examples of how the rules impact garnishment and levy answers and hold amounts
- Model language and sample forms that can be used when providing notice pursuant to the rules
Who Should Attend:
Compliance officers, legal counsel, and financial institution personnel who process garnishment answers
Terri D. Thomas is Senior VP and Legal Department Director for the Kansas Bankers Association. Prior to this, she was with "Bankers Choice," a financial consulting firm. Before this, Terri was employed in the financial industry for over twenty-three years in various capacities. Most notably, she served for fourteen years as in-house legal counsel and trust officer for Bank of America and its Kansas predecessors. Receiving her Bachelor of Arts degree from Kansas State University in 1985, Terri continued her education at Washburn University School of Law and obtained her Juris Doctor in 1988.
Currently, she serves as an adjunct instructor at Washburn University School of Law. She has previously been an adjunct instructor at the University of Kansas School of Law and is a frequent presenter for banking schools and financial associations.
If you are unable to attend the webinar but would like to have this information for training purposes, you may also purchase an OnDemand website link and/or CD-ROM.
- “Live” Web connection - $265
- Additional connection for a branch - $75
- 6-month “OnDemand” website link only - $295
- CD-ROM and e-materials only - $345
- Live plus OnDemand website link - $365
- Premier Package: Live, OnDemand link, and CD-ROM plus - $395