Federal Benefit Payments Garnishment Requirements
On May 29, 2013, the U.S. Department of Treasury, along with several federal agencies, including the Social Security Administration, the Department of Veterans Affairs, the Railroad Retirement Board, and the Office of Personnel Management, published the Rule on the Garnishment of Accounts Containing Federal Benefit Payments. The rule supersedes the laws of many states pertaining to how financial institutions process garnishments. It will also apply to the processing of state tax levies and warrants.
- A general review of the requirements for processing garnishments and state tax levies under the rule;
- The special terminology that applies;
- The detailed steps financial institutions need to take when processing garnishment and levy requests;
- Examples of how the rules impact garnishment and levy answers, and hold amounts;
- Model language and sample forms that can be used when providing notice pursuant to the rules.
Who Should Attend?
Compliance officers, legal counsel and financial institution personnel who process garnishment answers.
Terri D. Thomas, JD is the Director of the Kansas Bankers Association Legal Department, which specializes in providing compliance and legal assistance to Kansas banks.
Terri has worked with financial institutions for over thirty-nine years in various capacities. Most notably, she served for fourteen years as in-house legal counsel and trust officer for Bank of America and its Kansas predecessors. She has also served as a trust department manager and branch manager.
Receiving her Bachelor of Arts degree from Kansas State University in 1985, Terri continued her education at Washburn University School of Law and obtained her Juris Doctor in 1988. She has served as an Adjunct Professor at Washburn University School of Law in Topeka, Kansas and the University of Kansas School of Law in Lawrence, Kansas, and is a frequent seminar presenter for financial associations in the Midwest.
- Live Access, 30 Days OnDemand Playback, Presenter Materials and Handouts – $279
- Available Upgrades:
- 12 Months OnDemand Playback + $110
- 12 Months OnDemand Playback + CD + $140
- Additional Live Access + $75 per person