Financial Exploitation & Elder Fraud
Elder fraud — just the thought is distressing! Isolation during the COVID-19 pandemic worsened the problem, leading to an increase in elder scams and theft. It’s so important to be able to identify it, react appropriately, and provide help to your accountholders when possible. Learn how!
- Identify the warning signs of a senior person in trouble
- Understand unusual transactions a senior citizen may conduct and why
- Know who is most likely to take advantage of a senior citizen
- Determine the organizations you can turn to for help
- Train staff how to separate a problem party from the senior citizen
- React appropriately when a senior citizen threatens a staff member
One of the toughest problems for a financial institution is when a call arrives, or a person walks in, with a potential elder fraud issue. If a family member is a victim, the question may become, “why didn’t you do anything to protect my mother?” If it is the victim themselves, their tears will tear you apart when they relay the story of the romance scam, lottery scam, or caretaker who took advantage of them. Criminals know who they want to target and have found ways to get close to their victims. They know exactly how to manipulate targets and don’t care what happens to them after the scam. Many victims will not admit it or are unwilling to prosecute the criminals because they don’t want anyone to know they were deceived. This webinar will review how the attacks work and how to get the victims help if possible.
Who Should Attend?
This informative session is directed to frontline staff, tellers, risk managers, loan origination staff, security officers, and management personnel who handle senior financial exploitation.
- List of organizations that can help with elder financial exploitation
- Incident report form
- Security tips
- Employee training log
- Interactive quiz
- PDF of slides and speaker’s contact info for follow-up questions
- Attendance certificate provided to self-report CE credits
NOTE: All materials are subject to copyright. Transmission, retransmission, or republishing of any webinar to other institutions or those not employed by your agency is prohibited. Print materials may be copied for eligible participants only.
Barry Thompson. CRCM – Thompson Consulting Group, LLC
Barry Thompson is an international speaker, trainer, consultant, and writer. He is a security and compliance “guru” for a leading national training organization and regularly presents security conferences for trade groups — he has trained over 54,000 financial professionals.
Thompson is recognized worldwide, presenting in Brussels, Belgium to European bankers on internal fraud; at the United Nations on identity theft; and to Japanese bankers on bank security. Thompson has worked in the financial services industry for over four decades, and has held the positions of security officer, compliance officer, treasurer, senior vice president, and executive vice president. He has handled over 900 security cases and has been involved with investigations and prosecutions at the federal, state, and local levels. Thompson is the author of 101 Security Tips for the Beginning Security Officer and Inside the Vault and has been interviewed by Newsweek, Computer World, USA Today, and other national publications.
- $245 – Live Webinar Access
- $245 – OnDemand Access + Digital Download
- $350 – Both Live & On-Demand Access + Digital Download