HMDA Bootcamp Basics
Sometimes going back to the basics is a step in the right direction. If you (or your institution) are new to HMDA reporting, this program will provide a solid foundation and the details needed to collect and report data the right way.
After This Webinar You’ll be Able To:
- Determine the various types of dwellings that trigger a HMDA application
- Explain to applicants why demographic information (ethnicity, race, and gender) is collected
- Understand the elements of a completed application
- Define the correct loan purpose
- Handle common reporting problems for commercial loan applications:
- Distinguish between covered and excluded applications
- Identify which structures can be considered a dwelling for HMDA reporting
- Sort out complex issues with mixed-use dwellings (these structures are often used as collateral for commercial loans)
The Home Mortgage Disclosure Act (HMDA) requires financial institutions to collect and report data related to certain dwelling-secured applications. The detailed definitions and requirements can be confusing for new employees and financial institutions that have just become subject to reporting. This boot camp session will provide straightforward examples that explain the rules for identifying potential HMDA applications and the elements of data collection — while reinforcing the importance of “getting it right.”
Who Should Attend?
This informative session is designed to teach the basics of HMDA reporting to those new to the process. It will also be a helpful review for loan operations staff, loan officers, loan assistants, processors, compliance officers, and auditors.
- CFPB resource links
- Step-by-step data collection definitions and how to avoid mistakes
- Tool for taking demographic information
- Employee training log
- Interactive quiz
- PDF of slides and speaker’s contact info for follow-up questions
- Attendance certificate provided to self-report CE credits
Note: All materials are subject to copyright. Transmission, retransmission, or republishing of any webinar to other institutions or those not employed by your institution is prohibited. Print materials may be copied for eligible participants only.
Presenter: Susan Costonis, CRCM – Compliance Training & Consulting for Financial Institutions
Susan Costonis is a compliance consultant and trainer who began her career in 1978. She specializes in compliance management along with deposit and lending regulatory training. Costonis has successfully managed compliance programs and exams for institutions that ranged from a community bank to large multi-state bank holding companies. She has been a compliance officer for institutions supervised by the OCC, FDIC, and Federal Reserve. Costonis has been a Certified Regulatory Compliance Manager since 1998, completed the ABA Graduate Compliance School, and graduated from the University of Akron and the Graduate Banking School of the University of Colorado. She regularly presents to financial institution audiences in several states and “translates” complex regulations into simple concepts by using humor and real-life examples.
- $245 – Live Webinar Access
- $245 – OnDemand Access + Digital Download
- $350 – Both Live & On-Demand Access + Digital Download