Current information, interpretations, and best practices will be discussed in this practical and easy-to-understand IRA portability session. Learn about recent and important rollover rule changes and responsibilities, common mistakes, and misunderstandings. Know your responsibilities when an IRA owner wants to self-certify in order to receive an extension of the 60-day rollover period. Learn why the once-every-12-month IRA-to-IRA rollover rule is often misunderstood. This session will also explain how the rollover rules differ depending on whether the distribution originated in a IRA vs. an employer-sponsored retirement plan.
- How to avoid costly mistakes when handling inherited (beneficiary) IRA rollovers and transfers
- Review proper titling of accounts and common pitfalls
- Handling employer retirement plan direct versus indirect IRA rollovers
- When two types of IRA rollover accounts may be needed
- In-kind distribution rollovers (distributions of securities and other non-cash assets)
- Avoiding errors with distributions and rollovers due to divorce
- Responsibilities of the IRA custodian versus the IRA owner when self-certifying for an extension of the 60-day rollover period
- When the once-every-12-month rollover rule does not apply
- Most common mistakes when rolling IRA assets into an employer retirement plan
- Employee training log
- Quiz you can administer to measure staff learning and a separate answer key
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
This session will provide valuable information to staff who interact face-to-face with IRA owners or have IRA operational, compliance, or managerial responsibilities. Registered representatives and licensed insurance individuals will gain valuable insights into the nuances of properly handling IRA rollovers. This session will provide a thorough explanation of the many rules and responsibilities you need to understand, including common pitfalls to avoid when discussing and handling IRA rollovers.
PLEASE NOTE: The live webinar option allows you to have one telephone connection for the audio portion and one Internet connection (from a single computer terminal) to view online visuals as the presentation is delivered. You may have as many people as you like listen from your office speaker phone.
ABOUT THE PRESENTER – Frank J. LaLoggia, LaLoggia Consulting, Inc.
Frank LaLoggia is the President of LaLoggia Consulting, Inc., Rochester, New York, a pension consulting firm that assists financial organizations with ongoing support in the creation, development, and marketing of their retirement plans offerings.
Frank coordinates and conducts retirement plan seminars and training programs throughout the United States, including in-house IRA, HSA and employer retirement plan training sessions. With over 38 years’ experience in employee benefits, and always in demand, his client list is impressive. He has assisted many leading financial organizations in the pension and financial services industries. Frank has achieved the designation of Deferred Compensation Specialist through Northeastern Universities Center for Continuing Education and The National Retirement Plans Training Conference.
- Live - $245
- Recorded and Digital Download - $245 plus tax
- Live, Recorded and Digital Download - $320 plus tax