Check fraud losses are estimated to exceed $18 billion each year. A recent nationwide counterfeit check operation is projected to have caused over $9 million in losses. With more and more counterfeit checks flooding financial institutions, this number is sure to increase.
Unfortunately, most financial institutions don't understand their legal rights and responsibilities for dealing with check fraud when losses occur. If you're confused about what your financial institution's legal responsibility might be in various check fraud situations, this seminar is for you.
- Tips for spotting counterfeit, forged and altered checks
- Procedures that can be used to reduce your bank's exposure to check fraud losses
- A plain English explanation of your bank's legal responsibility for counterfeit, forged and altered checks under the Uniform Commercial Code, Regulation CC, and other federal regulations
- Factors used to determine whether a check fraud victim has the legal right to expect reimbursement for a loss
Who Should Attend?
Tellers, Teller Supervisors, Customer Service Representatives, New Accounts Personnel, Branch Managers, Security Officers, Fraud Investigators, Fraud Examiners, and Bank Attorneys.
Terri D. Thomas is Senior VP and Legal Department Director for the Kansas Bankers Association. Prior to this, she was with "Bankers Choice," a financial consulting firm. Before this, Terri was employed in the financial industry for over twenty-three years in various capacities. Most notably, she served for fourteen years as in-house legal counsel and trust officer for Bank of America and its Kansas predecessors. Receiving her Bachelor of Arts degree from Kansas State University in 1985, Terri continued her education at Washburn University School of Law and obtained her Juris Doctor in 1988.
Previously, she served as an adjunct instructor at Washburn University School of Law and the University of Kansas School of Law and is a frequent presenter for banking schools and financial associations.
If you are unable to attend the webinar but would like to have this information for training purposes, you may also purchase an OnDemand website link and/or CD-ROM.
- Live Plus Five (days) - $265
- OnDemand Recording - $295
- CD-ROM - $345
- Live Plus Six (months) - $365
- Premier Package - $395