Marketing & Advertising Compliance – Part 1
This is for Part 1 only. For series pricing, CLICK HERE.
In this day and age of UDAP/UDAAP, it’s clear that how you say what you say in your advertisements is just as important as what you say. Style matters – you must be clear and conspicuous in your wording so as not to confuse and deceive. If you read enforcement actions related to marketing and advertising carefully, it’s clear what else is being targeted: sales and marketing practices. It’s always useful to learn from others’ mistakes, regardless of your bank’s size or regulator.
With everything happening in the financial services industry, now more than ever it’s important that your advertising and marketing efforts are effective. Moreover, regulator and examiner attention to your advertising and marketing efforts is at an all-time high. Advertising is being looked at in different ways than before. There are standards to observe, especially when it comes to UDAAP (Unfair, Deceptive, or Abusive Acts or Practices). This is a seismic shift in regulatory enforcement, where practices that were perfectly acceptable in years past are now problematic. In the rush to attract new business and keep the clients you have, compliance requirements can easily be missed or ignored.
What can you say in advertisements? What must you say? What can you not say? Many sets of rules govern these questions, and more are on the way. How about your promotional efforts – contacting prospects and customers to let them know what you have available?
This is a two-part webinar series that covers the comprehensive landscape of marketing and advertising compliance requirements. In these webinars we’ll provide many examples of how the rules apply as well as recommendations on how to deal with all the requirements.
As the compliance environment becomes more complex, your marketing department must stay on top of all the rules and regulations. These sessions will help.
Marketing & Advertising – Part 1: February 8th, 2022 10:00 AM CT
- In-depth discussion of UDAP/UDAAP requirements – attention to unfair, deceptive, and abusive acts and practices (UDAAP). Plus – what may be considered abusive? How can you stay clear of trouble? Don’t miss the forest for the trees.
- Examples of unfair and/or deceptive advertising
- Discussion of enforcement actions and UDAP practices, plus recommendations
- Sales practices and conduct risk – what are the issues? What will examiners look for? How best to be ready
- Marketing services agreements – attention on third-party activities
- Native advertising issues
- Deposit advertising, including Reg. DD requirements
- Tax reporting issues
- FDIC official advertising statement requirements – plus updates
- Nondeposit Investment Product (NDIP) and insurance sales provisions
- Rules prohibiting lotteries – what can and can’t you do with drawings and contests?
Who Should Attend?
Anyone involved in developing and marketing your institution’s products and services, including the marketing department, compliance officers, auditors, business managers, sales and service staff, and anyone else whose duties involve promotion.
Carl Pry is a Certified Regulatory Compliance Manager (CRCM) and Certified Risk Professional (CRP) who is a Managing Director for Treliant LLC in Washington, DC. Through his working career, as well as through his experience as a banking attorney and officer, he has provided a variety of regulatory compliance and financial performance services to financial institutions and other clients throughout the country. He has written extensively regarding consumer and commercial compliance, tax, audit, and financial institution legal issues, and is a frequent contributor to and currently serves on the Editorial Advisory Board for the ABA Bank Compliance magazine. He has spoken at scores of banking, compliance, and state bar associations, and has conducted training sessions for financial institutions across the country.
- Live Plus Five (days) – $265
- OnDemand Recording – $295
- CD-ROM – $345
- Live Plus Six (months) – $365
- Premier Package – $395