Recent Overdraft Cases Before the CFPB
After This Webinar You’ll Be Able To:
- Distinguish the primary legal causes of action alleged in recent overdraft (OD) lawsuits
- Explain what the CFPB deems to be unfair OD fee assessment practices
- Know how and when to properly disclose OD and returned item fees
- Implement the OD fee best practices
- Protect and defend your institution against potential lawsuits
Certain types of overdraft fees have been criticized by the courts and regulators as unfair, deceptive, or abusive acts or practices. In November 2022, the CFPB issued a compliance bulletin explaining what they deem to be unfair returned item fees and unfair assessment practices. This webinar will explain the current legal and regulatory OD requirements as well as the CFPB’s approach to identifying a possible violation and determining when full corrective action will be required.
Note: This program will be an update to our October 2022 webinar titled, “New Guidance on Overdraft Fees & Defenses Against Class Action Lawsuits” although much of the information does remain the same.
Who Should Attend?
This informative session will benefit all personnel that handle overdrafts, such as deposit operations staff, service representatives, officers, managers, compliance personnel, auditors, and attorneys.
- CFPB Compliance Bulletin 2022-06: Unfair Returned Deposited Item Fee Assessment Practices
- Employee training log
- Interactive quiz
- PDF of slides and speaker’s contact info for follow-up questions
- Attendance certificate provided to self-report CE credits
NOTE: All materials are subject to copyright. Transmission, retransmission, or republishing of any webinar to other institutions or those not employed by your institution is prohibited. Print materials may be copied for eligible participants only.
Elizabeth Fast, JD, CPA — Spencer Fane LLP
Elizabeth Fast is a partner with Spencer Fane LLP where she specializes in the representation of financial institutions. Fast is the head of the firm’s training division. She received her law degree from the University of Kansas and her undergraduate degree from Pittsburg State University. In addition, she has a Master of Business Administration degree and she is a Certified Public Accountant. Before joining Spencer Fane, she was General Counsel, Senior Vice President, and Corporate Secretary of a $9 billion bank with more than 130 branches, where she managed all legal, regulatory, and compliance functions.
- $279 – Live Webinar Access
- $279 – OnDemand Access + Digital Download
- $379 – Both Live & On-Demand Access + Digital Download