GSB – The Business of Banking
This affordable, convenient online program is ideally suited to those who are new to banking – both frontline staff and those newly hired to leadership positions who gained their experience in other industries. Learn the language of banking, including an understanding of key ratios, to gain a clearer understanding of how the bank functions as a business.
The program is split into two parts
- Part 1 – Risky Business – An overview of the business of banking, industry trends, with an emphasis on risk management using the “Big 5” Risks for Banks as our tour guide: Credit Risk, Market Risk, Liquidity Risk, Operational/Legal Risk, and Regulatory/Reputation Risk.
- Part 2 – An Open Book – to a Degree – Using the same tour guide as above, Participants will learn to look up their own bank’s key performance management ratios, comparing to FDIC peer group and national averages.
- How a bank makes and loses money
- An overview of a bank’s balance sheet and income statement
- The importance of your bank to the local economy using the money multiplier as an example
- Risk arbitrage for both borrowers and depositors
- Enterprise Risk Management (ERM)
- Industry trends and current conditions
- How to manage each of the “Big 5” risks with examples and stories
- 4 key areas of bank financial management
- How to look up and use bank ratios (with UBPR and SDI tools provided)
- Overview of CAMELS and regulatory enforcement actions, and,
- How to ‘thrive’ in a recession
Those that are new to the banking industry.
Mike Wear, 39 Acres Corporation
Live presentation $625
Recording available through Dec. 31, 2022