Legal Issues of Checks
This program will look at who has the right to endorse the back of a check, and where is proper endorsement placement. We’ll also look at what happens if a check is not endorsed properly, when it may be best not to accept the check at all due to missing or problem endorsements, why we do not put business checks into personal accounts, and why we do not give less cash on business accounts. Many “tricky” issues will be discussed, such as deceased account holders, business accounts, endorsements for minors, income tax check endorsements, trustee endorsements and endorsements by powers of attorney. Learn the safe way to handle checks and be sure that you and your financial institution can be protected from loss on the negotiable instruments. You won’t want to miss this session! The information provided will produce confidence and a thorough understanding of the legal issues of endorsements.
What You’ll Learn
- What is a valid endorsement
- Bearer versus Order Checks
- Ambiguous endorsements
- Endorsements for minors, deceased parties, business accounts
- Witnessed endorsements
- Endorsements on income tax checks
- Trustee and power of attorney endorsements
- Postdated, stale-dated, erasures, alterations, and more lessons we need to learn
- Negligence rule and the bank statement rule
- Treasury checks, postal money orders, and other special checks
- Why we absolutely do not give cash back, cash or deposit into personal accounts checks made payable to a business
Who Should Attend
This informative session is for tellers, head tellers, cashiers, managers, branch operations, bookkeeping, compliance officers who okay checks and deposit representatives who work with checks and accounts.
Deborah Crawford is the president of Gettechnical Inc., a Virginia based training company. She specializes in the deposit side of the financial institution and is an instructor on IRAs, BSA, Deposit Regulations and opening account procedures. She was formerly with Hibernia National Bank (now Capital One) and has bachelor’s and master’s degrees from Louisiana State University. She has 30+ years of combined teaching and banking experience.
Live Access, 30 Days OnDemand Playback, Presenter Materials and Handouts $279
- Available Upgrades:
- 12 Months OnDemand Playback + $110
- 12 Months OnDemand Playback + CD + $140
- Additional Live Access + $75 per person