Wire Transfers: Staying Compliant and Avoiding Fraud Loss
Funds transfer fraud causes millions of dollars in losses for businesses. Last year, financial institutions filed over 374,000 Suspicious Activity Reports on incidents of wire fraud and/or suspicious EFT/wire transfers-a 2.5% increase from the prior year and a 35% increase from 2020. Cyber attackers continue to grow more sophisticated with their schemes and attempts and have increased even more during the recent pandemic. Recent successful cyberattacks on international wire transfers have raised the bar on examiners’ expectations for your security system and risk monitoring of international and domestic wire transfers. Are you prepared?
Wire transfers are unique transactions. In this session, we will cover the regulatory requirements for both domestic and international wires, and how to ensure your policies and procedures meet those expectations. We will provide best practices for your wire process and discuss how to identify and react to possible wire fraud attempts. In addition, we will identify vulnerabilities in systems and processes that can expose financial institutions to cyberattacks and increase liability. We will also examine ways to strengthen policies, monitoring, procedures, and risk assessments. You will be provided with tools to support and enhance your wire compliance program.
What You’ll Learn
- Detail requirements of both domestic and international wires, including:
- Internal Controls
- System security
- Understand proposed Bank Secrecy Act requirements for wires and recordkeeping
- Identification and authentication requirements
- Identify how Reg S, Reg E, Reg J Subpart B, and UCC-4A impact your wire process
- Review of current types of wire fraud and scams
- Explain rules, notices, and error resolution procedures for International Funds Transfers
- Discuss risk management practices and controls over information technology (IT) and wholesale payment systems networks, including authentication, authorization, fraud detection, and response management systems and processes
Who Should Attend?
This informational session is designed for BSA Officers, Compliance Officers, internal auditors, and any employee who handles wire transfers.
Dawn Kincaid began her banking career while attending The Ohio State University. She has 19 years’ of experience in client service, operations, information technology, administrative and board relations, marketing, and compliance. Most recently Dawn served as the Senior Vice President of Operations for a central-Ohio-based community bank, where she created and refined policies and procedures, conducted self-audits and risk assessments, and organized implementation of new products and services. Dawn has served in the roles of Compliance, BSA/AML, CRA, Privacy, and Security Officer. She has led training initiatives, prepared due diligence information, completed a variety of regulatory applications, coordinated internal and external audits and exams, and presented for numerous state associations.
- Live Access, 30 Days OnDemand Playback, Presenter Materials and Handouts – $279
- Available Upgrades:
- 12 Months OnDemand Playback + $110
- 12 Months OnDemand Playback + CD + $140
- Additional Live Access + $85 per person