ACH Return Reason Codes: Commonly Used & Misused Codes
Would it surprise you to know there are almost six dozen ACH return reason codes? With 70 codes in play, are you sure you are using (not misusing) the right ones? What timeframes and documents are involved? What about unusual timeframes that don’t fit into the standard or extended timeframes? Improve your accuracy and efficiency with this detailed, insightful webinar.
AFTER THIS WEBINAR YOU’LL BE ABLE TO:
- Use the most appropriate return reason code to process ACH returns
- Identify the return reason codes for consumer versus non-consumer ACH entries
- Amend your institution’s procedures to include the requirements of a written statement of unauthorized debit (WSUD) for applicable return reason codes
- Explain the process for dishonored and contested/corrected dishonored returns
- Understand the general return timeframe and the extended return timeframe, as well as other timeframes applicable to ACH returns
With 70 different return reason codes used by the ACH Network, assigning the most appropriate one can be challenging. Which return reason codes require a WSUD? How many days are there to process a return? What about the return reason codes with unusual timeframes that don’t fall into the standard or extended return timeframes? This session will answer all these questions and more, including an overview of dishonored returns, contested dishonored returns, and returns that are processed by the ACH operator or gateway.
- This course is eligible for 1.8 AAP/APRP credits.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
This session is ideal for both treasury management operations and ACH operations staff who are newer to their role, or more experienced staff wanting a refresher on the fundamentals of return reason codes.
- Employee training log
- Interactive quiz
- PDF of slides and speaker’s contact info for follow-up questions
- Attendance certificate provided to self-report CE credits
NOTE: All materials are subject to copyright. Transmission, retransmission, or republishing of any webinar to other institutions or those not employed by your agency is prohibited. Print materials may be copied for eligible participants only.
MEET THE PRESENTER – Kimberly Ellis AAP, APRP UMACHA
Kimberly Ellis is the Director of Education Services for UMACHA where she provides training and support for financial institutions in the areas of payments and risk management. She graduated from Western Illinois University with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Economics. She holds the Accredited ACH Professional (AAP), Accredited Payments Risk Professional (APRP), and National Check Professional (NCP) Certification. She spent 17 years working in community banks in Southeast Iowa before joining UMACHA in 2020. She has experience working with deposit operations and compliance, risk management, and support for corporate ACH originators.
- $279 – Live Webinar Access
- $279 – OnDemand Access + Digital Download
- $379 – Both Live & On-Demand Access + Digital Download