Overdrafts are certainly an area we’ve heard a lot about lately. Even though there is no new regulatory guidance per se, we’re seeing many institutions eliminating overdraft fees (and NSF fee as well) entirely. Is this something every institution should consider? Not necessarily, but it is important to understand exactly what is at issue and how to manage your program.
In this session, we’ll discuss the various types of overdraft programs out there, as well as the many statements and guidance from regulatory agencies over the past few years. We’ll also talk about risk management, particularly around consumer protection and UDAP/UDAAP. We’ll discuss some best practices to ensure your program is doing exactly what you expect it to be doing, and how to handle the many risks that come with this timely topic.
What You’ll Learn
- Should we eliminate overdraft (and/or NSF) fees?
- Discussions in Congress and at the regulatory agencies
- Overdraft reform from the OCC, CFPB, and others
- Overdrafts as UDAP/UDAAP?
- Differences between overdraft and NSF
- Different types of overdraft programs and their risks
- Compliance risks of overdrafts according to various regulations
- Making the right decisions for your institution
Who Should Attend
The program is designed for Compliance professionals and Officers, Auditors, risk managers, and anyone else in the institution responsible for making important risk decisions for the institution around overdraft programs.
Carl Pry is a Certified Regulatory Compliance Manager (CRCM) and Certified Risk Professional (CRP) who is a Managing Director for Treliant Risk Advisors in Washington, D.C. Through his working career, as well as through his experience as a banking attorney and officer, he has provided a variety of regulatory compliance and financial performance services to financial institutions and other clients throughout the country. He has written extensively regarding consumer and commercial compliance, tax, audit, and financial institution legal issues, and is a frequent contributor to and currently serves on the Editorial Advisory Board for the ABA Bank Compliance magazine. He has spoken at scores of banking, compliance, and state bar associations, and has conducted training sessions for financial institutions across the country.
Live Access, 30 Days OnDemand Playback, Presenter Materials and Handouts $279
- Available Upgrades:
- 12 Months OnDemand Playback + $110
- 12 Months OnDemand Playback + CD + $140
- Additional Live Access + $75 per person