Privacy and Information Security – Critical Rules for Bankers
Increasingly, privacy has become an important buzzword in banking circles. Customers are concerned about the privacy of their financial and personal information, and financial institution are worried about how to keep all this information safe from intrusions and outright thefts. But what are the legal and regulatory requirements?
In this webinar, we’ll explore the myriad of federal (and some state) requirements around privacy and information security. You’ll learn what information must be kept “private,” and what that term means. We’ll discuss “Personally-Identifiable Information,” or PII, and the special category it occupies in privacy regulations. We’ll also go over how to keep this information safe, with regulatory expectations placed on institutions and how they operate. There isn’t just one privacy law; it is a patchwork quilt of rules, regulations, and guidelines that all operate together to mandate how a financial institution manages its data and information.
What You’ll Learn
- Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act privacy, and Regulation P
- Personally-Identifiable Information (PII) – what does this mean?
- What information can I share with third parties, and when must I provide an opt-out?
- Sharing provisions of the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) and their interplay with Reg. P
- Information Security (or InfoSec) provisions – what do these require?
- Paper vs. electronic information – different rules?
- Notification to regulators in case of breach
- The mad rush by the states to implement privacy rules – which ones apply to you?
- General Data Protection Regulation – the EU’s spin on privacy
- And more
Who Should Attend
Anyone involved in the managing of information and data in the institution must be aware of the privacy requirements. This includes not only compliance and legal professionals, but also technology personnel and line of business managers and senior leadership, who are ultimately responsible for maintaining the institution’s privacy program.
Carl Pry is a Certified Regulatory Compliance Manager (CRCM) and Certified Risk Professional (CRP) who is a Managing Director for Treliant Risk Advisors in Washington, D.C. Through his working career, as well as through his experience as a banking attorney and officer, he has provided a variety of regulatory compliance and financial performance services to financial institutions and other clients throughout the country. He has written extensively regarding consumer and commercial compliance, tax, audit, and financial institution legal issues, and is a frequent contributor to and currently serves on the Editorial Advisory Board for the ABA Bank Compliance magazine. He has spoken at scores of banking, compliance, and state bar associations, and has conducted training sessions for financial institutions across the country.
Live Access, 30 Days OnDemand Playback, Presenter Materials and Handouts $279
- Available Upgrades:
- 12 Months OnDemand Playback + $110
- 12 Months OnDemand Playback + CD + $140
- Additional Live Access + $85 per person